They Are Not What They Wear

Written, Monday April 11th 2011 (Nadeshiko B25c)

This is only writing at the first sight. I don’t really know life in Japan. It’s just three or four days after my arrival, but it has given me several perspectives about the people and culture. First, let’s talk about Japanese fashion style and the young girls. I mean, from the four days-just arrived-and didn’t know anything about Japan-girl.

If you have ever heard a phrase said “you are what you eat” or then become “you are what you bla bla bla”, in Japan it then becomes “You are NOT what you wear”.

Japan is a very unique country. Despite of their modern technology (my roommate told me almost every technologies we use in our dorm. Ignore my don’t-know-anything face, but everything here is very modern and all written in Japanese so please don’t blame me if I look very far behind :p), they are very stick to their tradition. They greet every people they see, I mean of course not everyone because people’s going to think you are insane. But in the university, people greet each other. No matter you are the senior (senpai), or the teacher (sensei). They don’t hesitate to greet you first with little bowing and said Ohayoo, konichiwa, or konbanwa depends on the time. People also don’t hesitate to open the door for someone even if you have never seen each other before.

I don’t know if every Japanese girls are like my roommate or several Japanese girls I see in my dorms. But they are very nice, friendly, and of course cute! If you have seen Japanese doramas or read mangas, you’ll be surprised that they’re totally the same like what we see in books or movies. Stay with them is like you are pulling into the dorama’s or manga’s world. Cute and excited to every single things. Once, one of my roommate dropped sausage to one of my other roommate’s hand when we had dinner, and they got panic together. Screamed and apologized each other. But still, they did it in very cute way. Really cute. And me, the strange looking girl, I mean the furry-black-round-dry girl was amazingly surprised watching their reactions in the corner of the dinner table.

Or in another occasions, I went to the library to use the internet alone. Japanese keyboard is quite different with common keyboard we use. They put dot, coma, and other signs differently. I, not deliberately, pressed the sign that change romanji letters into hiragana and katakana. With an innocent face, after failed getting it back to romaji, I asked one of the Japanese girls who also use the internet facilities. She was really nice, walked into my chair, and changed the letter easily. When we quit and left the library, she opened the door for me. We walked together to the dorm (I thought), but then she walked to different direction and I knew she brought car to campus. Young girl with car in Japan, I guess she has enough money. But still, she’s very polite and didn’t see me as a third country woman who didn’t know how to operate computer. Lebay? Yes it is. But being in other country, I feel very welcomed here.

Also the sensei and staff of international office are very nice. When we have lunch, they asked the students to sit while they deliver the meal. They also take the rubbish and throw it. Talked to the students and explained the Japanese life. There’s no bureaucracy or gap. They want to be involved and be part of us. I never imagine I could sit chair by chair with the head of KUI UGM and after the meal, see him takes my meal and throw it to the rubbish bean. :p

And what’s the relation between my title and the content of my writting then? The redline is, although Japanese are very modern, they still stick to their tradition. They respect people. The balance combination of west and east culture. They are free and modern. See the girls on the street. They wear whatever they want. They wear mini skirts and very fashionable other stuff. But on the other side, they still think about what people is going to think about their dress. They are workaholic, but they still have time to greet people and don’t think too much about classes or position.

It’s a pretty country. A super cute nation. Everything here is cute. Even the plastics for rubbish are cute. Pink and there’s hello kitty on it. It’s such an amazing opportunity. I am glad and thankful to be here. There are still weeks to go. Nihon, I am ready to explore more

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

A Journey to be a Star (Danone Management Trainee Recruitment Phase)

My Chevening Journey

Perpisahan Kelas Bahasa Jepang